History

Find SC History content

"S" is for Salley, Alexander Samuel [1871-1961]. Historian. After graduating from The Citadel, Salley studied law and developed a fascination for local historical records. From that time forward, he wrote continuously on South Carolina topics, producing countless articles and more than 100 monographs. In October 1899 Salley assumed the position of Secretary, treasurer, and librarian, at the South Carolina Historical Society. The discovery of long-lost revolutionary war records led him to campaign for the proper custody and care of these priceless materials.

Prof. Jon N. Hale
College of Charleston

(Originally broadcast 12/02/16) - Created in 1964 as part of the Mississippi Freedom Summer, the Mississippi Freedom Schools were launched by educators and activists to provide an alternative education for African American students that would facilitate student activism and participatory democracy. The schools, as Jon N.

"W" is for Wayne, Arthur Trezevant [1863-1930]. Ornithologist. As a teenager, Wayne began regularly visiting the Charleston Museum after school—displaying great interest in birds. The curator and a local taxidermist taught the youngster how to prepare bird skins. He soon began collecting birds, nests, and eggs that he donated to the museum. After a brief foray into the business world, Wayne devoted the remainder of his life to ornithology. He earned his living by collecting birds and selling their skins to ornithologists.

"T" is for Tillman, Benjamin Ryan [1847-1918]. U.S. Senator. Governor. During the 1880s Tillman presented himself as the champion of "the farmers" against lawyers, politicians, merchants, and "aristocrats" whom he blamed for the economic hardship of white agricultural households. As the champion of a proposed agricultural college, he won the governorship in 1890. He established the Dispensary—a state liquor monopoly—and backed a referendum for a constitutional convention.

"S" is for St. Thomas and St. Denis Parish. Located in the peninsula formed by the Cooper and Wando Rivers in modern Berkeley County, St. Thomas and St. Denis were two of the ten original parishes created by the Church Act of 1706. It was colonial South Carolina's only parish within a parish. In 1706 the entire peninsula—with an English-speaking majority—was organized as St. Thomas Parish. But, in order to accommodate the French-speaking minority—the parish of St.

Pages