"M" is for Market Hall. Completed in 1841, Market Hall was one of several monumental buildings that arose along Meeting Street in Charleston during the 1830s and 1840s. Located at 188 Meeting Street, Market Hall occupies a narrow lot between North and South Market Streets that has been used as the public market since the late 18th century. Built of brick covered with brown stucco, the two-story building is set on a rusticated base. A double flight of steps leads to a portico supported by Doric columns. Behind the building, sheds stretch toward the river, which originally provided space for food stalls. In the early 20th century the United Daughters of the Confederacy used it for their Confederate Museum. Damaged by Hurricane Hugo, Market Hall underwent a multi-million dollar restoration that was completed in 2002.