"H" is for Hamburg. Founded in 1821 and located on the Savannah River in what is now Aiken County, the town of Hamburg was one of antebellum South Carolina's primary interior market towns. The new town grew rapidly as merchants tapped the cotton trade of the upper Savannah River valley.
During the 1830s it became the western terminus of the Charleston and Hamburg Railroad and the site of the Bank of Hamburg. But a series of devastating floods and, the opening of the Augusta Canal, and the extension of the railroad across the river into Georgia undermined the town's economy. After the Civil War, whites abandoned the town and it became a haven for emancipated slaves and a Republican Party stronghold. In 1876 the legislature repealed Hamburg's charter and the town gradually faded out of existence.